Nature's ghosts : confronting extinction from the age of Jefferson to the age of ecology /
|Main Author:||Barrow, Mark V., 1960-|
The University of Chicago Press,
xi, 497 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Table of Contents:
- Bones of contention: the American incognitum and the discovery of extinction
- Paradise lost: unraveling the mysteries of insular species
- Sounding the alarm about continent-wide extinction
- Nationalism, nostalgia, and the campaign to save the bison
- Going global: the American committee and the first inventory of extinction
- The Latin American turn: nature protection in the Western Hemisphere
- Enter ecology: preserving nature's living laboratory
- Reconsidering raptors during the interwar years
- Salvation through science?: the first life-history studies of endangered species
- "The nation's first responsibility": saving endangered species in the age of ecology.