The spirit catches you and you fall down : a Hmong child, her American doctors, and the collision of two cultures /
Discusses a sick child of Laotian immigrants whose beliefs conflict with Western medicine.
|Main Author:||Fadiman, Anne, 1953-|
New York :
Farrar, Straus, and Giroux,
xi, 339 p. ; 25 cm.
Table of Contents:
- Fish soup
- The spirit catches you and you fall down
- Do doctors eat brains?. Take as directed
- High-velocity transcortical lead therapy
- Government property
- Foua and Nao Kao
- A little medicine and a little neeb
- The big one
- Code X. The melting pot
- Gold and dross
- Why did they pick Merced?. The eight questions
- The life or the soul
- The sacrifice.